Summary: FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
November 25th, 2019
6:30PM, LAMP, 185 5th Street, Etobicoke
- SKATE WITH SANTA: December 7, 12-4pm. Colonel Sam Smith Skating Trail. Come visit the FOSS table after the Lakeshore Santa Claus Parade https://lakeshoreparade.ca/. Get your FOSS brochures, memberships, and buttons. Play the “habitat game”.
- NEW TORONTO HOLIDAY MARKET: December 14, 10am-3pm. 2 Colonel Sam Smith Drive (Humber Interpretive Centre). In support of LAMP Community Health Centre. https://www.facebook.com/newtoholidaymarket/. Join FOSS in making kid-friendly seasonal crafts using natural materials such as pine cones, acorns, bark, and moss. FOSS t-shirts, hats, memberships and Col. Sam bird calendars will be for sale.
- PUMPKIN PARADE AT COLONEL SAM PARK: Deemed to be a great success. FOSS thanks all visitors, especially those folks who brought so many spectacular pumpkins. Another Pumpkin Parade is planned for 2020. Suggestion for future participants: use baby food jars as wind protection for your candles.
- BIRD FEEDERS: Once again, FOSS has installed (and will maintain) five bird feeders around the perimeter of the skating trail. Thanks to the volunteers who make this project a success.
- BOXING DAY (DECEMBER 26) BIRD COUNT: FOSS encourages both individuals and families to participate and to contribute to this “citizen science” project. Check the blog for a list of birds previously observed in Col. Sam. Submission details for both observations and photos to be announced. Rain/snow date: December 27.
- BEAVER-CUT TREES: Beavers have cut down several larger trees in Col. Sam. FOSS will request mesh be placed around remaining vulnerable trees.
- UNWANTED/DANGEROUS TREE STRUCTURES: In spite of some dismantling by authorities, the structures have been rebuilt in the trees to the east of North Creek. Refer to last month’s report provided below for more details.
- “GOINGS-ON” IN COLONEL SAM: Smoke has been seen billowing out of the area creating a possible fire hazard. Concerned park users have reported individuals engaging in sex nearby. A mattress has already been removed. The builders appear to be young students. FOSS has notified Humber College as well as neighbourhood high schools. FOSS has submitted a report (complete with photos) to 311. FOSS urges concerned park users to do the same.
- ON-GOING CONCERNS: DRUG/GARBAGE PROBLEMS AT COL. SAM: Discarded drug paraphernalia and litter are on-going detriments in the park, particularly in the North Creek area. Visitors are asked to notify the police at 416 808-2200 for drug infractions and 311 for trash build-up. Any problems reported to 311 are greatly strengthened when accompanied with a photo.