Monday, December 16, 2019
Friday, December 6, 2019
How it’s done?
See the attached park map and link to the Winter Bird Count List for Colonel Sam Smith Park. Print the list.
Go out in to the park area shown on the map on December 26 (Boxing Day) and look for birds . Keep track of the time of day you visited the park, all the bird species you saw in the park or on the water as well as how many of each species you found. Send a list along to Brian at FOSS (see address below) so we can add them to the overall Christmas Bird Count. If the weather is poor on the 26th then use the 27th for your count.
Here is a link to a printable list for you to use for your count.
Try to send a photo with or without birds. We will try to place some of the photos on the FOSS website (no faces please)
Send your Bird Count to: Brian Keaveney, President of FOSS, at email@example.com by Dec. 28th.
You can scan your list and send the scan by email or just include the data in the body of the email. Results will be posted on the FOSS website.
Note: Bring a colour bird book with you to help identify birds or ask another birder that day.
Make it a fun family outing and stay warm
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Monday, December 2, 2019
Summary: FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
November 25th, 2019
6:30PM, LAMP, 185 5th Street, Etobicoke
- SKATE WITH SANTA: December 7, 12-4pm. Colonel Sam Smith Skating Trail. Come visit the FOSS table after the Lakeshore Santa Claus Parade https://lakeshoreparade.ca/. Get your FOSS brochures, memberships, and buttons. Play the “habitat game”.
- NEW TORONTO HOLIDAY MARKET: December 14, 10am-3pm. 2 Colonel Sam Smith Drive (Humber Interpretive Centre). In support of LAMP Community Health Centre. https://www.facebook.com/newtoholidaymarket/. Join FOSS in making kid-friendly seasonal crafts using natural materials such as pine cones, acorns, bark, and moss. FOSS t-shirts, hats, memberships and Col. Sam bird calendars will be for sale.
- PUMPKIN PARADE AT COLONEL SAM PARK: Deemed to be a great success. FOSS thanks all visitors, especially those folks who brought so many spectacular pumpkins. Another Pumpkin Parade is planned for 2020. Suggestion for future participants: use baby food jars as wind protection for your candles.
- BIRD FEEDERS: Once again, FOSS has installed (and will maintain) five bird feeders around the perimeter of the skating trail. Thanks to the volunteers who make this project a success.
- BOXING DAY (DECEMBER 26) BIRD COUNT: FOSS encourages both individuals and families to participate and to contribute to this “citizen science” project. Check the blog for a list of birds previously observed in Col. Sam. Submission details for both observations and photos to be announced. Rain/snow date: December 27.
- BEAVER-CUT TREES: Beavers have cut down several larger trees in Col. Sam. FOSS will request mesh be placed around remaining vulnerable trees.
- UNWANTED/DANGEROUS TREE STRUCTURES: In spite of some dismantling by authorities, the structures have been rebuilt in the trees to the east of North Creek. Refer to last month’s report provided below for more details.
- “GOINGS-ON” IN COLONEL SAM: Smoke has been seen billowing out of the area creating a possible fire hazard. Concerned park users have reported individuals engaging in sex nearby. A mattress has already been removed. The builders appear to be young students. FOSS has notified Humber College as well as neighbourhood high schools. FOSS has submitted a report (complete with photos) to 311. FOSS urges concerned park users to do the same.
- ON-GOING CONCERNS: DRUG/GARBAGE PROBLEMS AT COL. SAM: Discarded drug paraphernalia and litter are on-going detriments in the park, particularly in the North Creek area. Visitors are asked to notify the police at 416 808-2200 for drug infractions and 311 for trash build-up. Any problems reported to 311 are greatly strengthened when accompanied with a photo.