Summary: FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
NOVEMBER 26, 2018
7:05PM, LAMP, 185 5th Street, Etobicoke
- 2018 FOSS PHOTO EXHIBIT: Nature’s Sanctuary Juried Exhibition. Assembly Hall at Humber College Lakeshore Campus. Deemed to be a great success. FOSS thanks all participants and attendees. Next exhibit planned for 2020
- DECK THE DOGS: Scheduled for Col. Sam’s Dog Park. Saturday, December 1. 12-4PM. Volunteers needed. Contact organizer Eric Code if you can help ().
- COYOTE INFO SESSION: December 3. 7-8:30PM. Mimico Centennial Library, 47 Station Road. Register on-line at:
- FOSS WINTER BIRD FEEDER PROJECT: Scheduled to begin first week of December. Volunteers welcome. Check blog for details.
- NAMING PARK ENVIRONMENTALLY SENSITIVE AND NATURAL HERITAGE AREAS: A FOSS mapping project to assign names to significant areas of the park (such as the already-designated “Whimbrel Point”) in order to provide consistency when communicating info about Col. Sam. For more details, check the blog .
- BURDOCK ERADICATION: FOSS thanks the many volunteers who have spent countless hours cutting invasive burdock in an attempt to control/eradicate this plant in order to encourage the growth of preferred native species.
- NATIVE SPECIES PLANTINGS: FOSS is actively advocating for the planting of native shrubs and pollinator-attracting plants in suitable locations throughout the park.
- FOSS SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS: Check out FOSS on both Instagram and Facebook. No personal Facebook account? You may still view the contents, but you will be unable to post comments. Keep watch for nature photos highlighting your park.
- DRUG/GARBAGE PROBLEMS AT COL. SAM: Discarded drug paraphernalia and litter are on-going detriments in the park, particularly in the North Creek area. Visitors are asked to notify the police at 416 808-2200 for drug infractions and 311 for trash build-up. Any problems reported to 311 are greatly strengthened when accompanied with a photo.
- TWO HOUR PARKING LIMIT ON SOUTH LOT AT COLONEL SAM: Vehicles are being marked and fines are being issued.