Summary: FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
March 28th, 2017
7:05 PM, LAMP, 185 5th Street, Etobicoke
- COLONEL SAM PARK CLEAN-UP DAY WITH ALAN ROY: Sunday, April 23. 9am-3pm. Volunteers needed. Bring your own gloves and boots. Water and garbage bags supplied. Draws, prizes and giveaways. Directions/information will be posted at park entrances. Watch for the “sandwich boards”. Contact Alan Roy at email@example.com or call 416-937-4568 for more information.
- SWALLOW NESTING SITES: FOSS volunteers have prepared a total of 66 Tree Swallow boxes. See blog for details. The TRCA will erect a Barn Swallow nesting platform at the wetland outlook. Both projects are a go for the 2017 nesting season.
- VOLUNTEER REQUIRED FOR FOSS BLOG: If you are an advocate for nature in the city and have the necessary skills required for maintaining the FOSS blog, please contact FOSS. Contact information is available on the website. Thanks go to Terry Smith for his 9 years of dedication in this position..
- PROPOSED PHOTOGRAPHIC WORKSHOP: Tentatively scheduled for May 2017.
- Location: Colonel Sam Smith Park. Free. Check the blog for more information.
- “MEN’S” PICNIC SHELTER REPAIRS AT COL. SAM: The City plans to renovate this structure. Schedule yet to be announced.
- DRUG/GARBAGE PROBLEMS AT COL. SAM: Discarded drug paraphernalia and litter are on-going detriments in the park, particularly in the North Creek area. Visitors are asked to notify the police at 416 808-2200 for drug infractions and 311 for trash build-up.
- FIELD GUIDE DONATION: A generous donor has presented FOSS with 18 Field Guides that cover a wide variety of topics (bird, mammals, rocks and minerals, etc.). FOSS plans to use the guides for reference purposes at the Bird Festival and for Col. Sam Park nature programs. FOSS is most appreciative of this gift and offers great thanks to the donor.
- SPRING BIRD FESTIVAL: Saturday, May 27. 10am-2pm. Bird walks (begin at 9am). Face painting. Possible photography sale (subject matter related to Col. Sam Park). FOSS children’s projects (build bird feeders/baths). Bird house kits for sale ($10). And much more!
- TWO-HOUR PARKING LIMIT ON SOUTH LOT AT COLONEL SAM: FOSS has been informed that the two hour parking limit in the south parking lot has met with some success. Vehicles are being marked and fines are being issued.