Summary: FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
September 27th, 2016
7:04 PM, LAMP, 185 5th Street, Etobicoke
- PHOTO EXHIBITION: Opening Ceremonies: Assembly Hall: October 13, 6:00-8:00PM. The exhibit will be judged by artist Gordon Roy and celebrated nature photographer Ann Brokelman. Ms Brokelman will speak about her photography. Prizes will be awarded to participating photographers. A portion of the sales of his drawing of a Belted Kingfisher will be donated to FOSS by artist Allan Li. Refreshments. Free admission. Everyone welcome.
- NATURE TALKS: Join us at the Assembly Hall on October 20 at 7:00PM to hear talks by two avid naturalists and Sam Smith Park supporters. Tim McCarthy will speak about “Whimbrels” and Andrew Keaveney’s topic is “Urban Waterfront Parks: The Importance of Colonel Sam Smith Park to Wildlife”
- For additional information about the judges and speakers, refer to the FOSS website.
- For users of Sam Smith Park who have expressed concern to FOSS about the ad hoc sale of alcohol and food (and no provision of suitable sanitary facilities) during Aussie Rules football games, FOSS has been informed by the city that the sale of food and alcohol and the use of barbecues are not allowed except by special permit from the city licensing department. Anyone with concerns should call 311 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FOSS is concerned about the rapid growth of invasive burdock in the park. It presents a danger to small birds that get caught up in the seed heads. For more information, see an October 2015 article that appeared in the FOSS blog.
- FOSS will investigate the possibility of a burdock cutting session to be held at approximately mid May to help eradicate this problem.
- SIGN VANDALISM IN COLONEL SAM PARK: Signage in the park is under constant threat from vandalism. Some of the signs appear to be irreparably marred. Pleased report all vandalism to 311 or email@example.com. The city’s response is complaint driven.