Summary: FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
September 22nd, 2015
7:06 PM, LAMP, 185 5th Street, Etobicoke
- Everyone is invited to attend the Colonel Sam Smith Park ribbon cutting and community tree planting ceremony at the new wetland look out (funded by a grant from the Weston Foundation) on Saturday, October 24. 10:00 AM-12:00 PM. Volunteers would be greatly appreciated for the post ceremony tree planting.
- Colonel Sam Smith Park Farmers’ Market continues each Saturday through October 31. Visit the FOSS table on October 31 when kids can make their own pine cone bird feeder.
- Dog Park Improvements: FOSS is initially lobbying Councillor Grimes’ office for the addition of trees and lighting as enhancements for this facility.
- BIRD FEEDER PROJECT: FOSS will erect and maintain bird feeders in the area behind the Power House during the December-March skating season. Volunteers are required to fill the feeders. Initial funding for this project was provided by a grant from the Weston Foundation. Contact FOSS (see Blog) if you wish to participate.
- Representatives from the FOSS Steering Committee will attend a Special Public Meeting scheduled for 10:00 AM, October 8, Committee Room 1, 2nd floor, Toronto City Hall for an update on the status of CSS Park’s being designated as an Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA).
- FOSS is in the process of applying for a $2000 Live Green Grant, which, if received, will provide funding for a butterfly/pollinator garden at Col. Sam Smith Park.
- New FOSS web site on line: friendsofsamsmithpark.ca. Links directly to the blog spot.
- Please report all illegal dumping of yard waste in CSS Park to 311. Additional contact information posted on the FOSS Blog.
- Call 311 for any off-leash dog infractions. The city’s response is “complaint driven”.
- Contact FOSS (See Blog) with any ideas for improving the dog park
Membership Renewals: See
blog for membership form. Present members are encouraged to renew and individuals
on FOSS’s contact list are welcome,.