Summary: Minutes of the FOSS Steering Committee Meeting
February 24, 2014
7:00 PM LAMP, 185 5TH Street, Etobicoke
- FOSS will submit a formal letter to Councillor Grimes outlining specific suggestions/requests for improvement of the dog park.
- A meeting scheduled by Councillor Grimes for March 3 to discuss the proposed vegetable garden has been postponed until the councillor is able to consult with local residents/businesses.
- (NOTE: The meeting has since been rescheduled for March 3 at 7 pm with or without the Councillor. Location: Humber College Lakeshore Campus, Main Building L - Room L1017, Please RSVP to email@example.com or call Sandra at LAMP 416-252-6471 x239)
- FOSS supports the development of a community vegetable garden at the originally suggested location only, i.e. in the field found on the south side of Lakeshore Blvd. just west of the Rabba store.
- FOSS is concerned that proposed alternate sites (farther south or near the dog park) may be environmentally detrimental. FOSS also questions if there are alternate future plans for development of the Lakeshore Blvd. site that are comparable to the new Humber College welcome centre at the SW corner of Lakeshore and CSSP Drive. FOSS advocates open public consultation.
- Colonel Samuel Smith Park’s annual clean-up day: Sunday, April 27, 2014 from 9:00AM-3:00PM. Volunteers would be greatly appreciated.
- Spring Bird Festival is scheduled for Saturday, May 24, 2014, 9:00AM-1:00PM. FOSS will have items (e.g. t-shirts/caps) and memberships for sale. Kids’ activities include bird house/feeder construction. Art projects will have a bird-focussed theme.
- FOSS is sponsoring a spring photography competition. Theme: “To portray CSS Park as a place for quietly enjoying nature in any season”. Limit of 2 photos per competitor. Watch blog for details. Winning photos to be showcased on the blog and at the Spring Bird Festival. Prizes.
- CCFEW-sponsored bird walks are scheduled for: March 15-Col. S.S. Park, April 26-CSS Park. April’s walk is led by Bob Yukich. Meet in the south parking lot.
- For more information about kids’ (Grades 1-8) nature classes scheduled to be held in CSS Park during May and June, contact Jimmy Vincent (416.675.6622 ext. firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Humber Arboretum. Be sure to mention the CCFEW subsidy. The park is readily accessible by TTC bus.